Monday, May 9, 2011

Inherited furniture and the like

A couple of weeks ago I picked up this side table for $5.99 at G-will.  (I usually stop in about once a week on the way home from work.)  It was missing the hardware, and I was not a fan of the color.  But the condition was good, the drawer was in working order, and the shape was nice.  Sold! 
I went to Lowe's and picked up some Satin White Valspar Spraypaint and some simple hardware for $2.99.  I think it turned out perfectly.  And if it doesn't last, that's okay. (This room is going to become the nursery in a few years so there was no point in spending mucho dinero on making it perfect.  We tried to buy things that were neutral enough that they could be used in another room later down the line or be re-purposed in the nursery). 

 (please excuse our lack of a bedskirt! ;) )

Here is it is with the lamp, alarm clock and the bed.  The bed was inherited from DH's grandmother.  The bedspread was $35 from Target.  Not ideal or the one I really wanted, but it will work as a bedspread and can later be re-purposed as a blanket for the couch in the bonus room.  Plus it was less than 1/2 the cost of most I saw...even at Walmart. 
Once I get a bedskirt, I'll choose some of the art we already own to slap up on the walls and call it a day.  Perfect until baby 1.0 comes along.

Now for the furniture we inherited!!!  It was a combination of things owned by DH's grandmother, my grandparents, and my mom, sent down to us via rented space on a truck.  So here is all of the items that now look beautiful in our new home--a big thank you to everyone for sending it! 


This is Aiti's chest we moved to by the front door.  (It used to be in the dining room in the corner.)  I am going to put white ceramics in it.

Here is the buffet table that found a home just off the entryway.  The piano will eventually go here, but now it is seating, storage, and a photo gallery.  I plan to reupholster the chairs to update them.  I can't decide if I want to go bold or subtle.  Thoughts?
Here is our antique but new to us dining set from Charlie's grandmother.
 And here's how I changed up the floating shelves.  We had everything lying around, except the gold frame was from G-will for 99 cents.  (And yes, I do say G-will in everday speech).  I used scrapbook paper for the frames.
We also got these side tables for the guest bedroom from Charlie's grandmother.  I'm trying to resist the urge to paint them white because they are so classic.  We'll see :)  I didn't know his grandmother well, but I do know from the time I met her and from Char telling me about her that she would just want us to love them and get lots of great use from them!
And this amazing dresser and cool vase from my grandmother!  This corner is still a WIP...art not staying :)
You'll have to see how everything morfs to blend with the rooms.  Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. what great items! i love them! i wish i could get my hands on some inherited furniture! they don't make them the way they use to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are looking so settled after such a short time! Love all the additions. Having fun?

    ReplyDelete