Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haiti

When I hear all that is going on in Haiti, it reminds me that our daily inconveniences are nothing compared to what these people are going through.

I watched a woman on TV today be pulled from the rubble of a building...she was without water and food for six days, crushed by giant boulders. She was discovered by a Haitian rescue team, and with the help of American rescuers, was saved. When she was pulled from the debris, she began to sing and thank God...it was pretty incredible and moving to watch. I'd like to think that all of us have that kind of strength, but her optimism was just so overpowering. When a reporter asked her if she knew she would live when she was trapped inside, she laughed and said, "Sure, why not?" When we all face adversity, may we all have the same strength. I know for a fact that there are smaller things that make me get far more upset. Pretty humbling, huh?

While it's hard to watch so much destruction, it also makes me feel proud--of our world--to watch so many countries come to the aid of the Haitian people...the US, Israel, Germany... just to name a few. In a place where medical support is scarce, and even the saved may die because of medical complications and wounds, the outpouring of help is beautiful. For that I am thankful.
This week our Church gave 100% of everyone's tithe to a rescue team in Haiti. These people are in my thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment