On the bright side, we are having our first annual "Nut Party" this weekend, where friends get together and make "nutty" treats! Should be fun. :)
First on the list are caramel turtle candies...yum, yum! I found the recipe online, and they sounded delicious. We bought two small bags of pecans and a "nutcracker" that was on sale. It's much cheaper to buy your nuts shelled than de-nutted (I don't know if my "nut terminology" is up to snuff but you get the idea). Plus, it's much more fun to do it yourself. Reminds me of Spain :) I love the nut displays around the holidays!
Here's the recipe...hopefully it's as easy at it looks....
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:
- 18 soft caramels
- 72 pecan halves (about 1.5 cups)
- 5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preparation:
1. Prepare a cookie sheet by covering it with aluminum foil and spraying it with nonstick cooking spray. (I also read to add wax paper so they don't stick!)
2. Arrange the pecans in clusters of 4 with each pecan pointing in a different direction (like turtle legs).
3. Place a caramel on top of the center of each cluster. Put cookie sheet in a 300 degree oven for 3-4 minutes, until the caramels have softened and mostly melted over the pecans. The tips of the nuts should still be showing.
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool fully.
5. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave or over a double boiler. Spoon the melted chocolate over the cooled caramel, being careful not to cover nut tips.
6. Allow to fully set. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a week.
SourceI love the internet.
Sounds Yummy. I remember Oopsie too. You HAD to have her and Grandpa had to go to the toy store everyday to see if an order was received. FINALLY he got one.
ReplyDelete