Monday, December 7, 2009
.com's
How funny is that!?!?! This is just about my favorite youtube video. You can't help but watch it and smile. What a cute baby! It's funny how people can become famous now with the click of the mouse and a few moments for uploading. Everyone knows that Charlie is a "biter" and about "that guy" who pushed the bride into the water.
It's amazing the things we can do on the internet nowadays...my students visit my Wiki for missed homework, study guides, videos, and Spanish fun. I update people around the country with what we were doing here, now and today on our blog. I jump on forums and other blogs and make comments and post remarks. I can upload videos of our vacation, pictures of our weekend. My facebook status can be updated by the minute from a cell phone, and I can video chat with anyone around the world on Skype. Most of our Christmas shopping was done online.
I was thinking as great as all of this technology is, it makes anyone who shares their information with the net subject to viewing by the world, and in turn, your life is aired for the world to see.
Now that I have a very unique last name, I am a #1 hit on a google search. Anyone can find me via the internet. Luckily, I have nothing to hide or be ashamed of. It's worth thinking about, though: one picture, one video, one post that is uploaded can't be erased...ever. Even when it's "deleted." It can damage your reputation, or worse, prevent you from being hired. Sometimes I think this is something that the next generation fails to see...
I was watching MTV this weekend, something that has faded out of my life in the last 3 years, but I was captivated by a show, and even more fascinated by a commercial that came on. In "this is your brain, this is your brain on drugs" fashion, the commercial exposed the risk of teens posting inappropriate or private information on the web---their slogan is "Think before you post." I thought it was pretty powerful and speaks to a reality of today. Real-life and the internet have begun to blend.
As our digital age grow and changes, it will be interesting to see how about attitude toward the internet changes as well. For now, I'll stick to keeping my personal life private, and my "willing to share" life a part of this blog :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That video is hilarious! You're very right about the posting.
ReplyDelete