Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas cards and a holiday update

We are nearly done Christmas shopping, and most of our gifts are wrapped under the tree. It's truly starting to feel like Christmas...slowly but surly. Tonight we're heading to the Zwally's Christmas Party to and we will exchange the first gifts of the season! How fun.

Last night was our school's Christmas party at the nearby Country Club. It was really nice to not have to cook anything. Drinks were $8 a glass, and Charlie laughed looking at the sign and asked the bartender, "Is there a teacher discount?" Several teachers turned around and gave him the look disgust. I thought it was funny, anyway.

In other news, our Christmas cards are finally in the mail! All 50 of them! We printed them at Kinkos and stuffed all the envelopes together watching The Office.

Then, the bright idea dawned on Charlie and me that we should enter everyone invited to the wedding into the computer in a spreadsheet and print each address on sticky labels to put on the envelopes. Oh what time we would save in the coming years! We proceeded to create a complicated excel chart that would correspond to a label template. After Charlie fiddled with the program for 45 minutes and finally got it to work, we printed our first set of labels, and stuck them on the envelopes.

I stepped back momentarily to admire our work and soon realized that our friendly Christmas cards looks more like bills than a holiday greeting. (What with the cold, Times New Roman text and sticky labels). My skin was crawling. I KNEW we couldn't send them out like that. A hand-written card is not something you would imagine would make much of a difference, but when it's missing, you really notice.

We promptly broke out the pens (lucky for extra envelopes), and we proceeded to address each one the "proper" way. A mere 30 minutes later I was done. What we should have done in the first place. Live and learn, right? Hehe.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha! We will be writing out all the addresses next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait until you get 160 addresses - then you will appreciate having the labels. I know I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki-- I'm sure you have nice labels, though. These were very janky and small (meant to be used for a return address label). I loved your holiday card, BTW! :)

    ReplyDelete