And not just any gym, but the YMCA! It's fun to stay at the YMCA!... okay, I'll stop now ;)
I've never had a gym membership before in my life, and this makes me feel quite "legit." We've had apartments with gyms, and I've used school/university gyms, but I'm really excited about being able to work out and attend actual classes. Our YMCA has unlimited access to classes which I do MUCH better with. I need to be told exactly what to do and when to do it, otherwise I lose motivation quickly (or I become overwhelmed in the weight room).
So far, I've been to two Zumba classes. Being a newbie was fun, but also quite intimidating. I made the mistake of raising my hand and saying I was new during the first class when she asked, so the teacher came over a lot to dance next to me. And this just makes me nervous and mess up more. Oh joy. I'll be honest, I drowned for about 1/3 of the first class trying to figure out the steps, and I discretely moved myself to the back so no one could see me.
I expected Zumba to be fun, challenging, and a lot like salsa--which it was. I love the music, and I love the Latin flare, but I never expected the people to be so intense and crazy about this class. I didn't realize that a gym membership Zumba class would produce such a following or people who are so devout.
If you have never "Zumba-ed" before, you know it's no joke.
First there are the zumba shoes. Yes, lots of people have them, and I don't understand. They are like a tap sneaker? Confusing...
Then there is Zumba work-out gear. People were actually wearing this stuff...
The girl in front of me had pants that said "I love Zumba" on the butt. Not even kidding. Awkward! Please stop following my blog if I ever by those pants ;)
It's fun, though. You are expected to "Woop Woop" and shout a lot while you dance. You do forget that you are working out.
Like I said, it's quite intense. I'll let you know when I have a six pack. ;) ;)

I can see why this is PERFECT for you! Fun times but looks like a good workout.
ReplyDeleteGrandma says "Good Luck with That!"
ReplyDeleteI saw a Zumba class while we were touring our local Y. It looked CRAZY! I don't doubt that its a great workout but I'm just not sure I'm ready for that kind of public humiliation (my "moves" are less than stellar). Plus, at our Y, the workout rooms all have glass walls so anyone walking by can watch. Yikes! If it goes good, and I'm expecting to see that 6-pack soon, then maybe I'll get the courage to go, too.
ReplyDeleteI love Zumba! its fun, tiring...but fun! Guy witht the towel is hilarious! :)
ReplyDelete