Saturday, March 12, 2011

Spring and pruning.

Charlie didn't get the new job.  He was great, his portfolio rocked, and he did everything right.  He was called back for a second interview, and I know he rocked that.

This time wasn't the one...but man was that hard to hear.  When he told me on my way home from work on Friday, I was crushed for him.  Charlie has been working hard and gaining new clients in NC and through his dad's company, but this one would have been huge.  I was so excited for him, and I wanted to hear good news that would make me jump up and down and scream for joy.  My heart broke.

I told him I loved him, he was great, and if they didn't see that then it was their loss... but no words of encouragement can heal someone's heart that is hurting from not making the cut.  It's hard and brutal.

We have such a supportive small group, and some of our friends are facing similar struggles and not having this "life thing" all figured out, planned, and tied in a neat little bow, knowing where your job will take you... that's hard, but it's a step in faith at the same time.  It's hard to be in a season in your life, and feel like you've been called to do great things, and for God to change your direction.  Hard because you want to know best and control it all.

This is pretty cliche, I know, but being outside on this beautiful weekend, made me think so much about God's grace in the flowers.  :) 

Our Snow Fountain Weeping Cherry tree
We are literally in a season of pruning right now.  We finally got our trees trimmed (the HUGE ones around the yard that were dead and needed to come down), and we also did a little pruning ourselves.  (Can you spot Charlie?)
 
Why do we prune?  Sometimes we prune to take away something that is negative.  Like a tree branch we don't like.  Other times we prune to make things grow.  It feels like you are taking something away, but really you are leaving room for more beautiful flowers.  And who doesn't want more of those?
Our Forsythia
It seems like something is gone, but I know we are in a season of being pruned.  I have faith something great is out there for Charlie. :) 


He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful  ~John 15:2

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post in content, pictures and spirit. Miss you guys. Lovely yard. Nasty up here so nice to see spring somewhere.

    ReplyDelete