Friday, February 25, 2011

Paint and weeds.

Here's a sneak peek at the color of our den.  YAY!  It's catches the light really beautifully.  It was hard to capture on film the way it reads in real life, and every picture I took seemed to look a bit different.  But here it is next to the window and what was left of the natural light:

This gives you an idea of how it plays off the green...

The room is an utter mess and disaster, so you'll have to wait for everything to come together to see the full effect.

In other news, Charlie checked out this book from the library...
It's eye opening.  Lawns are so tricky.  And I never knew there were so many kinds of grass.  I just thought grass was grass.  But oh no...and to top it off, our lawn is quite a disaster and weed haven.  To be fair, to the average passerby, it doesn't look that bad.  It's green (ish), cut, and kempt, but there are weeds EVERYWHERE.  It drives me insane.  Literally insane.  And after reading a few chapters, I came to find out that putting fertilizer down when you have weeds is a really bad idea.  It just makes them grow more, too.  Oops.  You also can't put any weed killer on your lawn for 4 months after you put down fertilizer.  Double oops.  And I was weeding wrong.  Shi...oops.  

We met the neighbors across the street the other night, and talked with them for about 20 minutes.  They are from Ohio and sweet as pie.  I was so afraid they were sitting in their little perfect house with their perfect lawn judging our yard and staring at our weeds hoping that a trade wind didn't pick up little weed-lings and carry it onto their organic grass.  But they were really understanding of our situation and told us that it would take a few years to get it back, but we would.  Whew.  At least they know we are trying.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment