I initially bought it because we've been having some problems with Luna guarding her rawhide bones...she lets out a little growl if you get to close. She doesn't guard her food dish, her toys, or anything else other than her bones. It was bothering me, though, because one day when we have children, I want her to be safe to be around them when she has something. I suppose it comes from being a rescue dog...she's probably had things taken from her all her life. But it's not excuse to be rude!
The book basically outlines a step-by-step method for getting rid of any kind of "resource guarding." The only requirement was a "clicker"... so I went and picked one up from Pet's Mart for $1.50! The principal is, the dog learns to associate doing something "good" with a click followed immediately by a reward (the tastiest treat you can possibly imagine!). It's basically utilizing Pavlov's dog theory.
In better news, tomorrow we leave for SIESTA KEY FLORIDA. We are overjoyed. Beyond overjoyed, even. As I drove away from school today, I threw my hands up in the air and shouted: I HAVE A WEEK OFF OF SCHOOL! YAY! (Preparing for a sub, is sometimes harder than teaching. KWIM?)
We are going to live this vacation to the fullest. We have plans to beach-bum-it, go out to eat, see a botanical garden, and even make a trip to the dog beach so Luna can splash in the surf. Charlie and I each have 3 books to read, and you best believe they are going to be read cover to cover :)
Sunny Siesta, here we come. Jealous, right? ;)
Have a heavenly time. Love, Mom
ReplyDelete