Saturday, November 14, 2009

Ballooning, Baby!

So today, thanks to Laura, we experienced a hot air balloon! It was fabulous-- a trip of a lifetime, and so incredibly peaceful.

That huge balloon fits in such a tiny bag.

We drove out to the Lake Norman area to the "take-off" site. Ursula and Marc are the couple who owns the company. An endearing, intelligent pair, they explained how the balloon works-- from propane to air displacement--and how North Carolina is actually a mecca of ballooners.

It was a divine day to be on the farm...a comfortable 73 degrees. Their property rolled on forever--over grass, trees, and acres of land. They are an animal-loving couple with two horses, a dog, two cats, three ducks, and a chicken...just to name a few. They fell in love with balloon riding their first time up, and now, after more than 2,500 rides under his belt, Marc was the "captain" who took us up for the ride!

Charlie and Ursula filling the balloon with air!

Take-off as described by Marc is as peaceful as the "earth gently moving away from the basket." And it was just so. The ride was breathtakingly beautiful, with clear views for 50 miles (we had the perfect November day). There was hardly any wind, so at times our balloon drifted along at a very, VERY slow 1 mph. But, with views like that, I can't complain. The air is so quiet and peaceful, and the sounds of nature were only interjected by the smooth blasts of the propane tank to take us higher into the air!





















I can't say I much enjoyed the landing. After one failed attempt to land in a grassy field, we went onward and upward (literally)! We floated past a very tall tree (I could have touched the branches...too close for comfort) and over a grove of trees, and landed in someone's backyard. The landing was two giant "bounces" and a large tip of the basket. I didn't want to spill out!



A startled couple opened their doors and said, "DID YOU CRASH!?!!?" and then proceeded to take cell phone camera documentation of the bizarre moment. I suppose that's just it about hot air balloons...you never know when you are going to land, and you can't control the wind!

After about a 10 minute ride back to Ursula and Marc's home (we didn't fly far), we drank some champagne and signed their memory book. The sun was just disappearing!

It was a perfect day. Charlie and I can now say we stole a kiss at 2,000 ft. elevation!

We captured the day using a handy-dany video camera...enjoy :)



1 comment:

  1. Some day I want to hear about the landing. You are both much braver than me. Glad you had a blast.

    ReplyDelete