Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pantry Organization

Might as well start the year off with a bang-diggity, right?  As stated in my previous post, one of my resolutions this year was to "get organized."  Vague, I know.  But I'm really, really working on it.  One space at a time....
I decided to start with the kitchen pantry.  We actually have a relatively large pantry which makes us really lucky.  The huge challenge to it was making it work for us.... and here is the final product:
Although I don't have any good pictures of the "before", there were numerous problems with it...

a)  The shelves are 17.5 inches deep.  Yes, 17.5 inches.  Talking about making it hard to access things in the back/knowing what you have!  Especially on the higher shelves...
b)  Cans and bottle just don't sit well on these shelves.  They have big spaces between each of the metal bars, so things were CONSTANTLY falling over/through.

c)  The top two shelves were virtually un-usable.  I couldn't reach anything at the top and I needed a step latter to get to it... one that doesn't have space to be stored in the pantry.

My dream pantry with custom Elfa storage...

It was then that I discovered The Container Store this year.  I'm enamored, really.  I love this place.  If you've never been, it's basically a giant warehouse of every storage container imaginable.  Unfortuantely, it's also relatively costly, especially for custom installations.  So that's why I worked with what I had, bought very affordable, clear-plastic bins and labels.  Plus, combined with a sale, and yes, a teacher's coupon, I did it on a tight budget ;)

I got stacking storage bins (with an additional 15% off)...
Plus elfa labels (45% off between my coupon and a January sale)...


I loved the bins because I could see through them, they were the perfect width/height, and they slide easily on the shelves.  Also, if I decide to take them out and use them in another space, they stack together to make storage easy.  Quite versatile.  

Here are some up-close shots...
Now, when I need items from the top shelf, I can easily take the basket down!  So much easier than needing a step-ladder.

I thought outside the box with the cans...the way they are situated now, all I have to do is pull out the bin, and I can see everything, label up.  Now I feel like I'm maximizing the depth of our pantry but I can actually see it all....and eat it. Which is the overall point, right?



Check!

Still left to organize...
  • Pantry
  • Bathroom Closet
  • Laundry room
  • Front closet
  • Under guest bathroom (AKA my bathroom sink)
  • Bathroom makeup cabinet
  • Under Master Bath Sink
  • Garage
  • Snack cabinet

My family was thrilled.  Thrilled I tell you!

3 comments:

  1. The baskets are a great idea Kat! I literally laughed out loud at the photo of the pup and your husband. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and was interested in your pantry post. You organized the space very well. I need to to the same thing. Thanks for the incentive and info. Your doggie looks much like one I had a few years ago. She was the sweetest dog I've ever had. Yours looks like it might be a big baby like mine was. Anyway, just wanted to check out your post, will be back again.------- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I love the baskets. What a smart daughter! Pic of C and L perfect.

    ReplyDelete