Saturday, February 4, 2012

Suddenly it's cool to be a....BAND NERD!

When we bought our home, my mom sent down pretty much every piece of crap item I owned because she was no longer obligated to store it.  From my memory boxes, to scrapbooks, to Barbies, to stuffed toys...to my band music.  I threw away/donated many things she sent, but for some reason, I still decided to keep ALL my band music since I was 12.  Everything.
Gathering the band up before a parade...

It's true, though.  I was a huge band nerd.  Senior pics with my flute?  Check.  Drum major?  Check.  A shoebox full of solo and ensemble medals?  Check.  Going to band camp every summer?  Double check.  (Yes, the same band camp American Pie was based off of.  I'm just that cool.) I did a lot with music, even through college, so it seems natural that I couldn't throw any of my music away.  It always seemed so... wrong.

Middle School Music!
It's fun to paw through, remember what I played and when I played it.  Some of it I don't even recognize.  My notes are all over it.  Where to breathe, what to remember.  Where my solos were :)  I still kept my Interlochen music, flute solos, sentimental pieces, and piano music, but it was this weekend that I finally decided that my Middle School Band music wasn't a necessity to hold on to anymore.  The "Blue Ribbon March" (among others) was about to make it's debut again in the awkward hallway by our bathroom...

That's a sign it's craft time.  :)

I took an old cardboard boxed and used a plate to trace a circle...

Then I taught myself how to make little rosettes.  You can find how how I did it here.

Then I started taking music, rolling it, and hot gluing it to the round piece of cardboard until I came up with this...


And then I hung it in the hallway.
And it was good.  And free :)  Thanks, Pinterest!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea! I love how it turned out. Pinterest is so addictive.

    MyersMaison.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete