Sunday, December 11, 2011

4 gems and a cold.

We're finally sick.

I say finally because it's bound to happen at least once a year, and after what seems like weeks of hanging on by a thread, it finally took hold.  Forces you to stop, rest, and regroup.  Sometimes the body has a way, you know?

At least this nasty cold-bug hit Charlie and I at the same time instead of staggered.  Get it over with sooner I say.  The house is a mess, and we're eating mostly pre-cooked meals topped with some form of red sauce.  (IMO, the red sauce can make any nasty, re-heated meal better).  To be fair, I did try to cook an apple, cranberry, pork dish, but I overcooked it and it was awful.  Things happen.  I don't think Charlie could smell or taste much, so he assured me it tasted good.  ;)

Life has been busy...at school and otherwise.  I've been working on my teacher of the year application.  I was nominated this year in my building, and it's so completely honoring.  I teach with an outstanding group of people.  I have to answer a series of questions that aren't "hard" per-se, but they aren't something you can write in 15 minutes and submit.  The "What's your philosophy of teaching?" question is one that I haven't articulated since college, and it's changed a lot.  I'm stewing on them, writing here and there, and trying to make the words come out right.  I'm best left to write when I can speak from the heart.  I want my words to be genuine and real, not artificial and textbook answers.  So time I will take.  They are due at the beginning of January. 

Anyway, I suppose I'll share a few little gems with all of you... simple.  And all virtually unrelated.  But I'm not going to make 3 different posts for all of them, because I don't feel like it.

So I'll type.  And you read what interests you :)

GEM 1: 
My kids have pen pals against this year!  A friend of mine, Brian, is living in Barcelona, Spain.  We met in Salamanca, Spain completing our Master's program, and he now teaches English at an elementary school in the city.  When I facebooked him with the idea to exchange letters, he loved it.

Brian is in the back in the plaid shirt.
My Spanish club made a video of our school for them.  I basically gave the kids flip cameras and told them:
  • Film different places in the school.
  • Speak about 70% English (so the Spanish kids can practice) and 30% Spanish.
  • TALK SLOWLY
 I was proud of them.  Maybe this will give you a breif glimpse into why I heart my job.... I don't think you can duplicate a middle schoolers enthusiasm and sense of humor for anything.




And here is the video they sent us!  His kids are still technically in primaria, meaning Elementary.  They are a bit younger.  Isn't it interesting how kids around the world are virtually the same, though?  They are all kids.  Still sweet.  Still need love.

Here is their video:



GEM 2:   
I've finished the bonus room, but I haven't blogged about it, yet.  Here is a picture of one side, completely done.

Now that we have our new TV downstairs, we are in the process of putting the old on up there.  My brother broke in the new sofa over Thanksgiving break... he said it was comfortable.

It's a big change from where the room came from:

GEM 3: 
Refreshed mantle.

In a previous post, I said I wasn't 100% happy with how our mantle looked.  So I messed with it, and came up with this.

I donated to a Hospice Care facility and I was given the wreath.  I used some gold bulbs that I wasn't using and my inspiration (see previous post) gave me the idea to use the lantern.  I had the ribbon laying around from Thanksgiving.




GEM 4: 
Luna.  I haven't blogged about her in forever.  She is the same, though.  Awkward as ever, still can't take a good picture.


Are you trying to say I look like a chicken???
My inlaws are coming down tomorrow to close on their new home in the south. It's exciting to have them, and we are trying to turn a corner with our colds. No passing it on to them.  Off to take care of some paperwork and hit the hay early.  I need it!

1 comment:

  1. Hola! Loved your post. Sorry you si guys are sick. Rest up and see you very soon.

    ReplyDelete