Sunday, September 11, 2011

Lighting fixture update.

I hate gold finishes.  And when we bought our house, it was pretty much full of them.  Gold door handles, gold fans, and gold lights.  Lights of golden lights.  There was one in our powder room.  A really ugly one.  Here is the room:
And here is the light fixture.  (I cut it out of the picture above because I hate it so much...hehe!)
The worst part is I think someone actually painted it to be like this.  They took a bronze base and painted golden flecks/streaks all over it... sorry if it's your style.  It's just not ours.  To be honest, though, Charlie didn't even notice it first. 

Me:  Hey, hon, I'm going to fix our light fixture.
Charlie:  Um, okay.  We have an ugly one?
Me:  The one in the powder room.
Charlie:  It's really that ugly? (Walks over to powder room).  Eeeee..that IS ugly. 

I suppose from a guy's perspective, his back is to the dang thing anyway every time he pees in there, so he never noticed it.  If you sit on the toilet because you are a chick, you have to look at it!  Sorry.  That was graphic.  But I am illustrating a point here ;)

Anywhoo...

We are slowly but surely converting into Home Depot people.  Their paint is better.  Their color selection is better.  And their prices are better.  So yeah, we went there for the supplies.  Plus, Katie Bower recommended this spray paint called Oil Rubbed Bronze that you can't find at Lowe's.  So Home Depot it was.

Rust-oleum Metal Primer: $4
Krylon's Oil Rubbed Bronze Metallic Finish spray paint: $4
2 glass lampshades: $14
Total: $22  (Not bad, considering a new one would have cost between $80 and $100)
New shades on the left, old ones on the right.  We originally just wanted to re-used the old shades, but I soon realized that they would look far too golden with the new paint color.
I taped everything off (including the wires) and went to town! 

And here is the final product 24 hours later!

It took about 10 minutes to prep the area, myself, and the fixture, and about 5 minutes for each coat.  20 minutes in total.  Easy peasy.  The best part?  There was plenty of spray paint left for the 3 brown frames in the bathroom so they match the new fixture.  Much improved.

2 comments: