We invest in everything in life, and investments nearly always yield a return.
When I think back to a few years ago, and the students that I have now that decided to stay in Spanish, the ones who came back--because they don't HAVE to--were the ones I invested in. Not the ones I taught the best or the smartest (although that would be nice, wouldn't it?). In fact, I have had kids fail Spanish and sign up for it again the next year. This always blows my mind! I'm beginning to realize that the majority of students come back because I click with them, I get to get to know them, I laugh with them, and I talk to them. It has very little to do with acutally learning Spanish. They come back because I know their cat's name and that they only eat peanut butter and jelly for lunch. (Spanish discussions can always go in fun places).
This year I'm having a hard time making that investment in one class in particular. I KNOW I'm not investing, so everything feels forced. I'm stressed to cram everything in because of the new standardized test. To top it off, they are a low group of kids. I feel rushed, and I'm not allowing the time for a natural discussion because somewhere in the back of my mind a little voice is reminding me of "how far behind" we are. I hate that voice.
But I really need that investment and I need to take the time to make it. I need to move slower, I need to look them in the eyes more, and I need to mean it. It's not going to happen over night, but I'm working on it. :)
Those are lucky kids to have you. What a difference you make in kid's life. The Holmberg effect? Now we can call it the Berger effect.
ReplyDeleteSo proud of my daughter! Love you.
I love you, too. And I know you meant the "Snearly" effect. ;) ;)
ReplyDeleteYou are her legacy and 1 day, someone will aspire to be yours! XXOO
ReplyDelete