Friday, August 26, 2011

Bonus room progress!

I know, I know...we're impressive.  The bonus room is getting done during the first week of school!?!?!  She's crazy! 

I wish I could take credit for how great it looks...we actually had hired help.  Totally unlike me, I know.  I hate to have to pay for things like that when I can put some blood, sweat and tears into it.  But the drywall had to be rebuilt...  Could we have done it?  Yes, but it would have been a HUGE pain, and I'm glad we didn't because it took professionals over 8 hours to complete.  Yikes.  They said it was really bad. 

Here was the bonus room when we moved in...

It was actually worse than it looks.  The map on the wall was wallpaper, and all the walls were covered in beige, slightly peeled wallpaper.  When I went to Spain, I left Charlie with the task of taking the rest down thinking it would be an easy fix and we could just paint over it.  Well, my AMAZING in-laws came down to visit charlie and spent HOURS peeling off wallpaper shavings...on an angled wall.  It took them forever.  Talk about a pain in the neck.  Literally.  That's love right there!

Anyway, my mother-in-law, Vicki, told us, "Just knowing how hard that was, we are going to pay to have this finished for you."

Yay!

So they did.  Here was the room after miracles performed by Vicki... she did all of this near single-handedly...

Look in the bottom right had corner, the drywall is all broken and shaved off from peeling the wallpaper.
Oh, and I don't know if you can tell, but here is some AWFUL sponge paint that was under the wallpaper.  It looked like a disease took over the room.  Randomly enough, the people were too lazy to paint it over the stairs...so they just stopped.  Which made it even uglier.

But here is the room in progress...

We LOVE the color.  I had to switch to Behr because that's what the painters used, but I'm really happy with it.  It's called "Warm Nutmeg."  It really is very warm and inviting.  Adore.  I'm also really glad we painted the ceilings white, too, because it makes the room feel so much bigger.

Now on the docket is getting track lighting (notice the crappy "school lights" as I like to call them in the first pictures), and a new fan.  The one up there is broken and ugly.  And sagging.  I call it the serial-killer fan because it makes a saw noise when it is on.  Shudder.

Eventually (some time down the line) we will put a couch on the back wall (progress picture 1) and a t.v. in the corner where Charlie is sitting (progress picture 2).  We'll put those Ikea box shelves on either side of the "short walls" to keep toys in and find a fun area rug.  Presto, change-o: kids' playroom.
Imagine these sitting horizontally!
 I guess we have to make the kid first??  I'll update you when that DIY is completed I guess!

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely love it!!! The color is beautiful. So happy you like it. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY NICE!!!!! Great color. You'll get so much use out of this room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great! how sweet of your in laws!

    can't wait to see what you do with your bonus room!

    ReplyDelete