Friday, July 8, 2011

2 week mark?

Well, we've just completed two full weeks of classes.  I can't believe how fast the time is passing already.  It seems like just yesterday I got here.  My notebooks are filling up with notes, my accordion binder is filling with papers, and my note-cards are filling up with information.  Mid-terms are on Wednesday.  Gulp! 

My favorite professor so far is Bego.  She teaches social and geographical differences of the Spanish language in Spain....fascinating and hilarious, because she is constantly doing impressions.  She talks 90 miles a minute and she moves around a lot.  Kind of reminds me of me, maybe that's why I love her :)  Language use has always fascinated me, though, especially regional study.  Today she played this song in class, sung by a person from Extremadura and we had to listen to it and note the features of speech: fonetics, morfosintaxis, leixcon etc. based on what we learned.  It is currently very stuck in my head. ;)



As expected, my art teacher is also one of my favorites, but is very typical art teacher in that he is very disorganized and a little scattered in his lectures.  He frequently talks about paintings and forgets to tell you the title of the work, which is annoying for the sake of organized notes.  But we're learning about the Alhambra and Muslim mosques now, which my mom and I visited back in 2006.  It's nice to have some background knowledge, and to know I experienced what we are learning about.
Mom and I in la Alhambra in '06!
I feel different this year, more confident.  More myself.  I make small talk with my professors, asking more questions, raising my hand (without my heart beating into my chest), and actually getting to know some Spaniards.  We went out last Friday night, and I spent most of the night talking with some girls from Salamanca.  I feel much calmer this year with the schedule, and I've taken a few days to live the life: tapas, drinks, etc.   It still study a lot, and I find that the lifestyle of this country prepares your brain for lots of learning.  The weather has also been amazing.
de tapas with friends, near Escorial, Madrid
I also had this realization today that my ear doesn't tire from hearing the language anymore...I have these moments when I forget what language I'm listening to.  I've never meditated before, but I would imagine it would be a lot like that thing that happens when you float outside yourself, where your thoughts and body are unaware of each other.  I feel myself floating in the idea rather than the words.  This may sound weird or strange, but yesterday was the first day I had a realization of this feeling.  A few years ago I remember that listening to Spanish for long periods of time made me really tired.  It doesn't anymore.  :)

We traveled to the Escorial near Madrid last weekend, our first excursion (where all of the Spanish kings/queens are buried)...We weren't allowed to take pictures inside (so that was a bummer), so these are a few I took/of online.
Me outside the Escorial
One of the most famous libraries in all of Spain
Tomb of the Kings/Queens, including Carlos V!
Beautiful view, I took this one
The Paraninfo back in Salamanca, during our opening ceremony
Gathering in the Patio for wine and tapas!


San Esteban

Stork!



Casa de las Dueñas
Beautiful girls!

Tonight I'm going out to dinner with some friends, and tomorrow, in addition to studying, I'm working on planning my trip to Porto, Portugal for out long weekend.  I've never been to Portugal.  I look forward to it...mostly to this....
Oh, and this....
Don't be too jealous ;)  I'm only there for 2 days!  Muhahahahahaha!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post Honey. You look and sound so happy. What more can a Mama want? Love you.

    ReplyDelete