Saturday, September 18, 2010

mi casa es su casa

Part of me wishes we could be homeowners.  There are many pros to this scenario...
  1. a downturned market...we could find a deal
  2. teacher breaks/discounts
  3. tax breaks... there is even talking of the $8,000 tax credit coming back
  4. our own space and yard
  5. not having to take Luna down 3 flights of stairs just to go outside; not having to lug groceries 3 flights up stairs
  6. HAVING A GARAGE!
  7. decorating on a dime (only one of my favorite things to do!)
  8. having a craft table / a creative room.... which may also dub as the so-called "man cave"...with a girly corner ;)
  9. escaping from our Saturday night party neighbors and the crying baby downstairs... and all the other crappy parts of apartment life
  10. being part of a community
  11. making an investment
There are also cons...
  1. breaking our lease
  2. upkeep is all on us!-- and we might suck at that.
  3. having to mow a yard
  4. the extra $$ you pour into a house when you first buy
  5. time-- to do it all.
We are not in the business of looking for a house at this immediate juncture, but our short-term plan is beginning to look in January, closer to when our lease is up (knocking a con off the list!).

So, just for fun, here are some ideas I've seen over the past year or so that I thought were really inspirational...


http://www.bowerpowerblog.com/
 I love this girl's blog and living room... I think it's so cute.  She's witty and funny and has a really great, frugal sense of style.  We would *die* with a white couch + Luna (that would drive me bonkers), but the whole aesthetic is great.  The best part: most of the items she got at thrift stores, Goodwill, or consignment shops.  (With some IKEA thrown in for the modern feel).  She sewed all of the pillows herself.  I really love the colors, too.


I'm obsessed with floating shelves.  I think they are really cool.  Functional, too.
http://www.younghouselove.com/
The bonus room/man cave might rock (they really don't have basements in the south)...
Okay...totally kidding!!!  Haha.  I don't think I could stand having a giant football player on our wall, but I would be open to the idea of having a D.Lions accent wall and a framed jersey.  Or even some fun throw pillows.  For fun for my husband, who will probably gladly have little to say in how we decorate our home, but who does so much for me and deserves something he loves.

Okay, that was an enjoyable waste of 20 minutes.  LOL.   In the mean time we will continue to live life in our little place and enjoy spending time at other people's houses. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I don't blame you for wanting this and you'll have it soon. Can't wait. Where is the comment about the in-laws guest bedroom? ;-}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl-

    When you go to look, PLEASE check out the Good Neighbor Next door Program for teachers. I bought my house and the govt pays 50% of the mortgage at the end of 3 years. All because I'm a teacher!!!! no gimicks. its been awesome and we made a ton of money doing NOTHING! we love our house!!! if you need info-let me know!

    ReplyDelete